Post your pictures for assignments here. Please comment on other people's pictures and they will comment on yours :). Suggest ways to improve the picture or things you like about it. If you know how, include the settings you used and light conditions. If you don't know how, pictures are enough!
The first assignment is to take an Easter portrait by a fence using a few different angles. Have your subject near the fence. First take the photo head on with the fence directly behind the person. Take a few steps to the side and then take the photo again. Taking the picture at an angle will give depth to your photos and look more interesting. Emily suggested this topic so she will also post to give more detailed instructions.
I tried it out with the kids today and this is what I came up with:

Exposure 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/5.0
ISO Speed 400

Exposure 1/2500 sec
Aperture f/5.0
ISO Speed 400

Exposure (1/1250)
Aperture f/3.5
ISO Speed 400

Exposure (1/320)
Aperture f/6.3
ISO Speed 400
It was pretty bright outside, the first set were from right after church in a bright side of the yard, the second set were from an hour or so later on the shady side of the yard. They were a little underexposed so I had to brighten and sharpen in photoshop.
I like both views but the variation does give more interest in the photo. I'm excited to see what you come up with!
When I get my camera, I'll take some sample shots!
ReplyDeleteNicely done ;)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLauren, How do you get such sharpness and crispness in your photos? Do you sharpen them in photoshop or do they just come out like that?
ReplyDeleteI love shot #3 where you're down low, almost looking up at the kids, and you capture the grass. The splash of green adds to the composition.
I love changing my angle for pics--and lately have been addicted to my step stool (so I can look down on my subject). Maybe that could be a future assignment?
@Ali: It's sort of a combination of the two. Sometimes I can get a lot of sharpness if I take the picture in good lighting. The lens will also make a big difference. If they're not as sharp, I do work on them a little bit. I try to have a light hand in photoshop but that's something I'm still working on. There are some easy ways to brighten and sharpen in almost any photo fixing program. Maybe we can make that a future topic for the group.
ReplyDelete